02 November 2008

Truth, Peace and Justice - Challah Bread for Election Day


I've been craving the taste of fresh baked bread. I don't know what it is, but the smell of baking bread just gives me the feeling of fall, even though the rain hasn't totally started yet.

So, when I happened across a recipe for Challah bread (that looked delicious, fairly easy, and beautiful) I thought, "that's the bread for me!" Add to the fact that my husband always raves about the delish challah bread he's had in the past, I thought it might make him happy too!

Anyway, as I was combining recipes to find the perfect challah bread for us, I found some interesting facts about the traditional braided challah. I'm attempting a double stacked three strand braid. (Wish me luck! Perhaps I'll post a picture when it's finished.) Anyway, apparently the strands of the braids have meanings. For example, "Twelve humps from two small or one large braided bread recall the miracle of the 12 loaves for the 12 tribes of Israel." But a simple 3 strand braid? Truth, Peace and Justice.

As we enter into an election day that is going to be extremely polarizing and divisive, I realized that a little challah bread might be the perfect food for our challenging times.

No comments: